Our commitment to keeping the young people we serve safe is always our number one priority. Following the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, it’s important that you know Boys & Girls Clubs of Elkhart County and KidsCare is doing everything possible to keep your child, our staff and volunteers protected from its spread. We are also closely monitoring reports from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and our local health department for all updated information. If schools close, Clubs and KidsCare will close. Please watch for closures.
As a reminder, we recommend these preventive actions every family should take to prevent exposure to COVID19.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- It takes an average of 11.8 seconds to sing the entire Happy Birthday song, so if you sing it twice, that will ensure you’ve scrubbed long enough. This is a great method to share with children in your family. While this measure is simple, it is effective.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- For more information about handwashing, see CDC’s Handwashing website
- The CDC also provides specific guidance for travelers.
At this time, there is no evidence that children are more susceptible. Children should engage in usual preventive actions to avoid infection, including cleaning hands often using soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer, avoiding people who are sick, and staying up to date on vaccinations, including influenza vaccine. The National Child Traumatic Stress Network offers a Parent/Caregiver Guide for COVID-19 with more helpful information for families.
Our commitment to you and your children is unwavering.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Elkhart County and KidsCare
– Goshen schools are closed starting Monday, March 16, 2020- Concord schools are closed starting Monday, March 16, 2020- Elkhart schools are closed starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020- Middlebury schools closed starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020- WaNee schools closed starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020
The target reopen date for all schools listed above is April 13.